Some days the universe delivers beautiful and unexpected synergy. Today is such a day. Fast on the heels of our Budweiser partnership announcement, we’ve discovered that today is National Crush a Can Day, a day created to educate people about recycling.
Why do cans make the perfect spokesvessel for such a mission? Here are a few reasons:
- Cans are infinitely recyclable and contain 68 percent recycled aluminum on average.
- Recycling cans saves 95 percent of the energy it takes to create a can from virgin materials.
- It can take as few as 60 days for a recycled aluminum can to return to a store shelf as a new can.
- Recycling 1 ton of steel cans conserves 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,400 pounds of coal and 120 pounds of limestone, according to the Can Manufacturers Institute.
- Your standard beer can weighs just 0.46 ounces each, meaning distributors can haul a whole bunch of them per truckload.
So, let’s all raise a toast to crushing this save-the-world thing, shall we?
Another way to help Mother Earth: Joining Drift. Get your estimate today.